September 26th, 2016

Earlsdon Cottage ‘closure’ hearing postponed over strikes

Earlsdon Cottage ‘closure’ hearing postponed over strikes Earlsdon Cottage ‘closure’ hearing postponed over strikes
Updated: 4:37 pm, May 07, 2015

A HEARING set to decide the future of the Earlsdon Cottage has been postponed.

The venue could have its licence revoked after allegations it broke key conditions around noise levels on 40 occasions in just two years.

A hearing to decide its future was cancelled earlier this week because of strike action by council staff set to take place tomorrow (Thursday). A new date has not been set.

Back in 2012 we reported how the Cottage was under council scrutiny because of excess noise and claims of anti-social behaviour. Its hours were eventually slashed in a bid to help neighbours who complained they couldn’t sleep.

But a council report set to go to the latest hearing has detailed how the problem is still just as bad.

It said: “Officers regularly witness very loud music, that is described as being akin to what would be expected in a night club, coming from the Earlsdon Cottage in the early hours of the morning.

“The volume is described as being sufficient to prevent sleep altogether, with a heavy thumping bass beat that is likely to be affecting many residents in the area as it has been clearly audible in the street on many occasions.”

The report – penned by the council’s environmental protection team – criticised Cottage bosses and described them as “uncooperative and confrontational” people who had abdicated their responsibilities.

It added there were no others conditions available to put on the licence that would ease resident concerns and the only option left should be to revoke the premises licence.

Councillors were set to make a decision after hearing arguments from both sides.

A Cottage spokesman said it was working with the council and neighbours to promote the licensing objectives and could not comment further until the review had taken place.

Before the meeting was postponed, Earlsdon councillor Allan Andrews had told us he was confident the council was handling the case well.

“It’s the second review that’s been called – which is pretty rare – so it’s a sign the issue is being taken seriously by the council.

“This has to be a fair and transparent process and it will be.”

Comments