September 29th, 2016

Sky Blues fans set for a summer of protests

Updated: 4:47 pm, May 07, 2015

ANOTHER large-scale protest march by Sky Blues supporters is set to take place again this summer in a bid to bring fans together again in unity.

Thousands marched the streets of Coventry last year to vent their frustration towards a groundshare with Northampton Town after negotiations between the club and Ricoh Stadium owners ACL broke down.

Fans have become increasingly frustrated at seeing their club playing at Sixfields Stadium which has angered the majority who have decided to boycott ‘home’ matches and attend away games only.

And now the Sky Blue Trust released details of a second march which will take place on Saturday July 12 and is expected to attract even bigger numbers.

“Following on the incredible success of last year’s march where thousands of supporters showed their love for their club by joining in this amazing event, we hope that this year’s event will be bigger, better and even more fans will join in.” said Trust spokesman, Jan Mokrzycki.

“The theme of this years event is Sky Blue Supporter Unity.

“There have been too many splits among supporters, each pointing fingers and blaming different parties or even each other for the current situation we find ourselves in but at the heart of it we are all Sky Blue supporters with a deep, shared love of our club.

“This is our chance to show the world that our club is still alive, just how much we still care about it and as long as we sing together we will never lose.”

This year’s march will start at 11am and will leave from Gosford Green before ending up once again in Broadgate where speeches and music from local bands will take place.

Jan added: “This will be a non-political event, it’s about the supporters and our club.”

“It is hoped to have Lady Godiva once again leading the march, a Coventry marching band accompanying fans on the route and in Broadgate we will have a stage set up and following a few short speeches from fans there will be music from local artists.”

The first fans’ demonstration of year takes place this Saturday when hundreds are expected to turn out at the Council House in Earl Street at 1pm to highlight the need to get the club back playing at the Ricoh.

Organisers, Get Cov Back to the Ricoh, are also urging for a united front among supporters and believe all sides should be held to account for the on-going dispute.

Speakers will include Brian Patton, the former councillor who is standing on a Get Cov Back To The Ricoh platform against council leader Ann Lucas in the Holbrook ward in the council elections on May 22.

“If you only blame the club’s owners, this demonstration is probably not for you.” said organiser Stuart Cosgrove. “We are not apologists for Sisu. They have made mistakes and we have publicly criticised them.

“But we believe the majority of people believe all sides should shoulder responsibility.

“Now is the time to hold the council to account, whatever comes from the forthcoming Judicial Review next

month, which may or may not move the situation forward.”

Cov Protest 30.013.019.cov.nc12

Comments