23rd Oct, 2017

Bid to boot out gypsies launched

Coventry Editorial 21st May, 2014 Updated: 28th Oct, 2016

A GYPSY family near Coventry Airport could be forced out after the city council launched legal action.

The group – an extended family – have refused to budge from land on Siskin Drive, despite designated traveller pitches being provided on land next door.

The council said it had witnessed a number of management issues over the years, with just one family agreeing to move since August 2013.

An initial county court hearing took place last month to launch proceedings while another is planned for July.

The council is aiming to upgrade the designated site after being handed a grant by the Homes and Communities Agency. But it could be forced to fund it from its own pockets if the work is not completed by March 2015.

One council report claimed the gypsies had denied staff access and the current site was in poor condition.

“The continued occupation of the disputed land and the possibility of further legal action being required to secure the co-operation of residents with the proposed works mean the ability to re-build the site may be impaired,” the report said.

“Should for any reason the re-build not be complete by March 31, 2015 and grant funding is not available thereafter the city council would be liable for the costs of the re-build and would need to fund these from other city council resources.”

Councillors will meet to discuss the case on Wednesday.

Heart2Heart Dating

Looking for love? Start searching to find a new date on heart2heart dating.

Book an Advert

Book your newspaper advert with our online advert creation tool.

Competitions

With some awesome prizes to be won, make sure you enter our competitions.

Subscribe

Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.