18th Feb, 2019

Close shave for dog after swallowing razor blade

Ian Hughes 11th Oct, 2018

THE OWNERS of a Springador puppy have thanked emergency vets who saved their pet’s life after he swallowed a razor blade.

Fenton, an 11-month-old Springer Spaniel/Labrador cross, needed emergency surgery to remove the blade and prevent it cutting into his intestines.

Happily, he’s now fully recovered from his dramatic ordeal but senior veterinary surgeon Katie Wain, from Avonvale Veterinary Centres, said it was a close call.

Katie explained: “It could have sliced open his stomach or intestines which would have been life-threatening. So he was anaesthetised and I removed the razor blade, and a lot of food, from his stomach.

“He was kept in overnight for further pain relief and monitoring and sent home the next day. He’s recovered really well and was back to his normal self within a week.

“Nevertheless, this case is a warning to all dog lovers and shows why we are always advising people about the dangers of their pets swallowing cones, stones, bulbs and all sorts of foreign objects.”

Relieved owner Tao Radford said thanked Katie and her team.

“Fenton is so lucky they have the pet hospital in Warwick open 24/7 because the night team there got to work on him straightaway.

“He’s a lucky lad because he definitely bit off more than he could chew that night.”

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Coventry Observer.

Property Finder 24/7

Search for properties in Worcestershire, Warwickshire and the West Midlands.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Coventry Observer.

Digital Advertising

Advertise on the Coventry Observer to boost your online presence.