A COVENTRY man has been arrested on suspicion of committing terrorism offences after last week’s bomb squad drama.
The man who was detained by police last week has today (Thursday, May 3) been arrested on suspicion of committing terrorist acts.
The 20-year-old had been detained under the Explosives Act last Tuesday (24 April) and an address on Brookside Avenue in Whoberley was twice searched by police with help from the Army’s bomb squad.
Homes surrounding the Brookside Avenue home were also evacuated on two occasions last week.
He had been released on bail pending further investigations last week.
The man is being held at a police station in the West Midlands.
West Midlands Police said: “A Coventry man has been arrested today (Thursday 3 May) on suspicion of committing terrorism offences.
“The 20-year-old had previously been detained under the Explosives Act last Tuesday (24 April) before being released pending investigation.
“Today’s arrest is on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism under section 41 of the Terrorism Act 2000.
“It follows the examination of electronic items and documents which were seized from an address in Brookside Avenue, Coventry last week.
“The property was subject to extensive searches for several days by West Midlands Police officers together with the Army’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD).
“Searches were completed over the weekend and there is no further police activity at the property.”
Chief superintendent Mike O’Hara, from Coventry Police, said: “I would like to thank local people for their co-operation during the searches and apologise for any inconvenience caused.
“This is a complex inquiry that remains subject of a thorough investigation. The searches and evacuations were essential for officers and EOD to enable them to conduct their work and keep local people safe.”