EMERGENCY services rushed to the University of Warwick last night (Thursday) to attend a chemical leak in a science laboratory.
A 999 call received just after 8pm reported ‘red smoke or gas’ coming from a cupboard in the Chemistry department.
The gas is understood to have been by a chemical reaction from an acid leak.
Firefighters from Solihull, Coventry, Canley and Foleshill were joined at the scene by West Midlands Ambulance Service staff – including members of the specialist ‘Hazardous Area Response Team’.
The area was evacuated and a cordon put in place, with no one reported to have been injured in the incident.
Staff from West Midlands Fire Service left the scene at around 2am this morning (Friday) having dealt with the situation.
Support community journalism by making a contribution
The Coventry Observer's team of journalists provide a trusted source of news, sport, entertainment and events going on in your area and issues which matter to you - both via our free weekly print edition and daily updates on our website.
Every contribution, however big or small, you can make will help us continue to do that now and in the future.
Thanks for reading this and the Coventry Observer.