Fire in Coventry flat 'believed to have been started accidentally' - The Coventry Observer

Fire in Coventry flat 'believed to have been started accidentally'

Coventry Editorial 19th Dec, 2022 Updated: 19th Dec, 2022   0

WEST Midlands Fire Service has said it believes last night’s fire in a five-storey block of flats in Riley Square, Bell Green was started accidentally.

Following several 999 calls, nine fire engines from stations in Coventry and Birmingham responded at around 8.45pm, where they found a severe fire in a first-floor flat.

The tenant, a man in his 30s, managed to escape before the Fire Service arrived.

Firefighters tackled the flames using hose reels and the main jet and the fire was out by 10pm.




The blaze was contained to the flat it started in although it was damaged by fire and smoke.

Residents were given fire survival guidance over the phone by Staffordshire and West Midlands Fire Control, and crews led one woman to safety using a fire escape hood.


She was then given oxygen outside and checked over by the ambulance service.

A woman and a baby were led to safety from another flat, while the residents of five homes have been temporarily re-housed after they were left without power.

Printing

We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.

Subscribe

Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Recruitment

Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.