A DRIVER who killed a Coventry pensioner in a hit-and-run when he was doing almost 20mph over the speed limit has been told to expect an immediate prison sentence.
Mohammed Ahmed pleaded guilty at Warwick Crown Court to causing the death of 83-year-old Milton Forde by careless driving.
The charge follows a tragic hit-and-run in Burnaby Road, Coventry, at just before 11pm on May 12 last year.
Ahmed (33) of King Edward Road, Coventry, was doing an estimated 49mph when his BMW hit Mr Forde, and he drove on, leaving the pensioner lying in the road.
People living nearby heard the sound of the collision and rushed out to try to help Mr Forde until the emergency services arrived, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Judge Anthony Potter queried the charge, and whether it should have been death by dangerous driving, in view of the fact that Ahmed was driving as ‘almost 20mph above the speed limit.’
Prosecutor Michael Williams explained that the decision had been taken on the basis that speed was the only factor in the case, although he accepted it was ‘on the cusp between careless and dangerous.’
And he pointed out: “The driver did try to brake just before the car hit Mr Forde.”
Mohammed Hafeez, defending, said: “He understands and fully appreciates the serious nature of the offence and the probable outcome.”
But asking for an adjournment for a pre-sentence report, he added: “He has no previous convictions, and he runs his own business, with a number of employees.”
Judge Potter responded: “I will adjourn but, as you acknowledge, this is a case where he should expect to go to prison.
“This is a case which was very much on the cusp of careless and dangerous driving. He should be under no illusions. He should not have any expectations other than going to custody.”
Granting Ahmed bail, but banning him from driving, the judge told him: “You have pleaded guilty to an extremely serious charge, and you will have heard what I have said about the likely outcome.”