AN INQUEST into the death of Darren Cumberbatch who died in unexplained circumstances after police contact has begun this week.
Mr Cumberbatch’s death sparked outrage and a full scale investigation after he died on July 19, 2017 – days after an incident at a probation centre in Nuneaton.
The long awaited inquest into his death started on Tuesday (May 28) at the Leamington Justice Centre, Leamington Spa and expected to last three weeks.
It follows more than a year of anguish and confusion for Mr Cumberbatch’s family.
Mr Cumberbatch was allegedly injured after being restrained by Warwickshire Police in the early hours of July 10, 2017 at McIntyre House – a Bail Hostel in Nuneaton.
The inquest heard allegations he said he had taken cocaine and had been running around and shouting, in an agitated state.
A Taser, a baton and incapacitating spray were used to restrain him, the inquest heard.
The 32-year-old died nine days later after his life support was withdrawn.
The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has been investigating.
Following Mr Cumberbatch’s death a march was held in Nuneaton along with two candelit vigils.
His funeral also filled Coventry Cathedral – where the one year anniversary of his death was also marked.
Chair of the Justice4Daz campaign Reverend Dr. Desmond Jaddoo said before the tribunal started: “It has been a long time for the Cumberbatch family to have been left in limbo, seeking answers to what happened to Darren.
“However, I would hope that the answers that the family seek will be forthcoming.
“Darren died at a very tragic time in July 2017 – in a week when four black men died following police contact.
“We need transparency and accountability as to what happened to Darren.”
The inquest heard no-one was on trial but its work was to establish the facts.
The Inquest continues.
Support community journalism by making a contribution
Thanks for reading this and the Coventry Observer.