A LETHAL cocktail of drugs taken at a dance music festival Global Gathering caused the death of a much-loved 20-year-old from Coventry.
Shane Kirkwood died at Warwick Hospital after collapsing on the dance floor of one of the tents on the first night of the festival.
The inquest into his death at Leamington Justice Centre heard the painter and decorator, from Willenhall, was one of the first people to get into the festival alongside his brother, cousin and friends.
The court heard that Shane had been drinking throughout the day and he had told his brother he had taken some Ecstasy – although he was not a regular user.
At the inquest Shane’s brother Mark said: “We were dancing in one of the tents and he suddenly fell over.
“At first I thought he was messing about as he was always falling over but it soon became clear that he was in danger so I called for help and put him over my shoulders and carried him to paramedics who were on their way to us in the tent.”
Mark told the court he stayed with his brother in the medical area at the Long Marston site and went to hospital with him.
A post mortem found Shane’s blood tested positive for Cocaine, Ketamine and Ecstasy however there was no trace of alcohol in his blood.
Further tests have been ordered to confirm the alcohol level in Shane’s blood at the time of his death.
Warwickshire’s Senior Coroner Seam McGovern concluded that Shane died of a drug-related incident.
Shane had just turned 20 days before the festival, was a keen weightlifter and aimed to be a personal trainer.
Speaking shortly after his death the family paid tribute to him.
“We are deeply saddened by his death and are still very much trying to take in the fact that he has gone,” they said.
“He was a very caring person and would help anyone, going out of his way without a second thought.
“Shane never complained and nothing would worry him.
“He had a good sense of humour and was a real joker too.”
Support community journalism by making a contribution
Thanks for reading this and the Coventry Observer.