A MAN has died after a fire broke out at a high-rise block of flats in Coventry.
Emergency services were sent to Faulkner House on Stoney Stanton Road last night (Monday, May 13).
A West Midlands Fire Service spokesperson said: “At 5.54pm on Monday, May 13 we responded to a fire in a flat on the top floor of 16-storey Falkener House.
“The first of our crews arrived in under four minutes. In all, 17 firefighters attended the incident on three fire engines and one Brigade Response Vehicle (BRV).
“They wore breathing apparatus and used hose reels to tackle the fire, which had been fully extinguished by 6.28pm.
“Sadly, one man was pronounced dead at the scene by the ambulance service.
“At this stage our investigators believe that the fire, which was confined to the one flat, started accidentally.
“A report will be prepared for HM Coroner.”
A WMAS spokesperson said: “West Midlands Ambulance Service can confirm that it was called to a flat fire last night.
“An ambulance and paramedic officer attended. Sadly one patient was confirmed deceased on scene.”
A West Midlands Police spokesperson said: “Police were called to reports of a fire at a block of flats on Stoney Stanton Road.
“The body of a 47-year-old man was discovered. His death is not being treated as suspicious.”
A spokesperson for WM Housing – who owns the block of flats – said: “We are shocked and saddened by the death of one of our residents in a fire at Falkener House on Monday evening.
“Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the man who passed away.
“Crews from West Midlands Fire Service quickly extinguished the fire and it was contained to one flat.
“Our teams were on the scene within minutes of the alarm being raised to support residents at Falkener House.
“There is no damage to the rest of the building and all residents have now returned to their homes.
“We are continuing to work with West Midlands Fire Service to help them with their investigation and are offering support to residents at Falkener House.”