A MAN has died after a fire ripped through a flat in Coventry.
West Midlands Ambulance Service was called to Jenner Street, Foleshill, just before 4.30am this morning (Tuesday) where firefighters were tackling the blaze.
A spokesman said: “Unfortunately, when a man was brought out of the property it was immediately obvious that nothing could be done to save him and he was confirmed dead. He was the only casualty.”
A spokesperson for WM Housing said: “We are shocked and saddened by the death of one of our residents in a fire at his home in Jenner Street in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
“Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the man who passed away.
“Our teams were at the scene within minutes of being alerted to the fire. We are supporting residents on Jenner Street who were affected by the incident and are working with the emergency services to help them with their investigations into this incident.”
Coventry Police posted on Facebook: “We’re working with fire service colleagues to understand the cause of a house blaze in #Coventrythis morning where a man was found dead.
“We were alerted at 4.30am to the fire in Jenner Street, #Foleshill, at a maisonette. A man was found inside the property and sadly pronounced dead at the scene.
“A post mortem examination will be carried out in due course in the hope of identifying the precise cause of death.
“The victim has not been formally identified at this stage and no-one has been arrested.
“If anyone saw anything suspicious in the area this morning please contact us on 101 or Live Chat via the website at WMP Online quoting log number 290 from 20 August.”
Support community journalism by making a contribution
The Coventry Observer's team of journalists provide a trusted source of news, sport, entertainment and events going on in your area and issues which matter to you - both via our free weekly print edition and daily updates on our website.
Every contribution, however big or small, you can make will help us continue to do that now and in the future.
Thanks for reading this and the Coventry Observer.