20th Oct, 2017

Gritty win gets Coventry's season back on track

Steve Carpenter 5th Oct, 2015 Updated: 28th Oct, 2016

COVENTRY got their season back on track thanks to a gritty 26-19 victory at home to Plymouth Albion in National League One.

After tasting back-to-back defeats, the Blue & Whites got back to winning ways and despite conceding the try count, the home side did just enough to claim the spoils at the Butts Park Arena on Saturday.

Man of the man George Oliver fully deserved the accolade following an impressive performance, new lock forward Ben Thomas enjoyed a strong game after returning from injury and the returning Jacques Le Roux delighted the home crowd by scoring the vital try.

The early signed looked as through the task was going to be a lot easier with Peter Weightman claiming a long pass and diving over wide on the left for the opening try of the match after just two mintues, which Matt Jones converted.

But for two dropped passes, Coventry would surely have added to their lead and it took the visitors 15 minutes to break intot he home 22.

With Albion now seeing more of the ball, full back Tom Putt missed a penalty kick before on 20 minutes George Oliver won a penalty for the hosts and Jones converted to put Coventry 10-0 ahead.

Alex Woodburn was forced to withdraw because of a hamstring problem and he gave way to Le Roux, before late in the half  Coventry again found themselves under pressure which led to Tom Poole being yellow carded for the second week running.

Plymouth took full advantage with number eight Herbie Stupple forcing his way over and Putt converted for 10-7.

But Jones slotted to penalties to hand the home side a 16-7 lead at the break.

Immediately after the re-start however, Plymouth very fortuitously struck with their second try. There looked to have been a firm knock on in the build up but the referee waved an advantage and winger Ethan Ford squeezed in at the corner.

With referee Davies then for some reason consulting his assistant, the original decision appeared to be changed, allowing the try to count and although the conversion attempt was missed, Plymouth were back to within four points.

Coventry responded on 50 minutes thanks to a Matt Jones penalty but the lead was shortlived as straight from the kick off Dom Lespierre failed to gather the ball and Plymouth flanker Nile Dacres was able to claim their third try of the match which Putt converted to level the scoreline.

From thereon in however it was Coventry who were largely on the ascendancy with a Jones chip to the right just eluding Lespieree and on 76 minutes a Jones penalty rebounded back off the post.

But as pressure was maintained in the final minute it was left to Le Roux to produce a storming burst to finish a period of intense pressure to claim Coventry’s second try which Jones converted for 26-19 in the dying minutes.

This weekend Coventry travel to promoted Hull Ionians.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Car Finder 24/7

We've written reviews to help you find a car you'll love to drive.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Reader Offers

Check out all of the latest reader offers to get your hands on some free gifts.