25th Jun, 2022

MATCH REPORT - Final day defeat for Coventry City who concede three second half goals at Scunthorpe

Coventry Editorial 30th Apr, 2017 Updated: 30th Apr, 2017

Scunthorpe United 3-1 Coventry City

League One

Glanford Park

FOOTBALL: COVENTRY City’s miserable 2016/17 campaign ended with a 3-1 defeat away at promotion-chasing Scunthorpe United which sees Mark Robins’ side finish second from bottom in League One.

Midfielder Vladimir Gadzhev had given the Sky Blues a narrow one-goal lead at the break, but Scunthorpe struck three times in the second period to consign City to a 17th defeat on the road this season.

With the club’s relegation to the fourth tier already confirmed, the Sky Blues just had pride to play for at Glanford Park on Sunday and they started the match well.

The visitors produced the first opening chance of the match with just a few minutes on the clock as Jodi Jones cut inside on his favoured left foot but his shot sailed high over the bar.

Lee Burge was called into action soon after down at the other end when a sloppy pass by Gael Bigirimana allowed Neal Bishop a sight of goal but the City shot-stopper was quick off his line to make an important stop.

As the first half progressed Scunthorpe began to take the game to Coventry with Sam Mantom shooting wide before on 17 minutes Burge produced another fine save to keep out Josh Morris’ effort.

Shortly after the half-hour mark the home side came close again to taking the lead. Duane Holmes broke free down the right before whipping in a low cross which was met by Paddy Madden but again Burge was alert to make the stop.

Somewhat against the run of play it was the Sky Blues who got their noses in front with 34 minutes on the clock. Jones hit an excellent cross into the box which fell to Gadzhev on the edge of the area and he struck a low deflected shot into the back of the net.

The visitors ended the half brightly with Dion Kelly-Evans testing Joe Anyon but it remained 1-0 at half-time.

Scunthorpe had lost just three home matches all season and returned after the break looking to turn the game on its head.

Seven minutes after the re-start they did just that when Kevin Van Veen curled a 20-yard shot past Burge to level things up.

On the hour mark George Thomas fired an effort over the bar and in the 73rd minutes Thomas came close again when he forced Anyon into a fingertip save as his shot was tipped onto the bar.

Scunthorpe stepped up their performance in the final ten minutes and took the lead for the first time in the match six minutes from time when Neal Bishop found a way past Burge from 20 yards out.

The goal dented the visitors’ confidence and the hosts sealed a 3-1 win in stoppage time thanks to a goal by Hakeeb Adelakun.

Coventry City: Burge, Di. Kelly-Evans, Willis, Turnbull, Camwell, Bigirimana, Gadzhev, Jones (K.Thomas 64), Lameiras, G.Thomas (Folivi 86), Tudgay

Subs not used – Charles-Cook, Thompson, Shipley, Dev. Kelly-Evans, Reid

Support community journalism by making a contribution

The Coventry Observer's team of journalists provide a trusted source of news, sport, entertainment and events going on in your area and issues which matter to you - both via our free weekly print edition and daily updates on our website.

Every contribution, however big or small, you can make will help us continue to do that now and in the future.

Thanks for reading this and the Coventry Observer.

Support Us

Property Finder 24/7

Search for properties in Worcestershire, Warwickshire and the West Midlands.

Book an Advert

Book your newspaper advert with our online advert creation tool.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.