26th Jun, 2022

REPORT: Relegation confirmed as Thomas' goal not enough as City draw against Charlton

Shaun Reynolds 14th Apr, 2017 Updated: 14th Apr, 2017

RELEGATION was confirmed for Coventry City this afternoon following a 1-1 draw against Charlton Athletic at the Ricoh Arena.

Though the Sky Blues went ahead mid-way through the first half following a close range strike from George Thomas, Charlton pulled level after 54 minutes when City failed to clear a corner – allowing Patrick Bauer to header home from close range.

Pressure from Coventry following Bauer’s goal gave City fans hope, however Charlton – who are still not clear from relegation themselves – remained strong at the back, limiting City’s chances on goal.

Jodi Jones created multiple chances from the left as Coventry pressed for a winning goal with 20 minutes remaining.

Man of the match George Thomas had a close range shot saved by Charlton keeper Rudd, who made himself as big as possible in front of the youngster.

Charlton enjoyed more time on the ball and chances in the concluding ten minutes of the second half as Kyel Reid and Kevin Foley came on for Jones and Willis.

The full time whistle blew though, confirming Coventry’s relegation to League Two.

Earlier in the game it was in-form forward George Thomas that opened the scoring for the Sky Blues.

Thomas, who bagged the winning goal at Wembley less than two weeks ago when the Sky Blues defeated Oxford United at Wembley, scored from close range after 27 minutes.

It was a deserved goal for Thomas who seconds earlier battled hard while in possession of the ball to earn Coventry a corner.

The corner was played short before being passed to Ben Stevenson on the edge of the area. Though his shot was blocked, the loose ball fell to Thomas’ feet. And the 20-year-old made no mistake in putting Coventry ahead.

Charlton were unlucky not to score a goal of their own moments earlier when Jay Dasilva’s cross was met by Nathan Byrne inside Coventry’s 18-yard box on 19 minutes.

Byrne’s header had City keeper Burge beat, though his effort slammed against the crossbar and back out into play.

Jodi Jones could’ve sent the Sky Blues into an early lead had it not been for Decland Rudd’s quick hands after just six minutes.

A further chance in the second part of the first half for Jones was – again – well saved by Rudd who was forced to make a diving save low to his right.

Coventry now travel to Rochdale on Easter Monday knowing nothing can be done to save the club from relegation.

Support community journalism by making a contribution

The Coventry Observer's team of journalists provide a trusted source of news, sport, entertainment and events going on in your area and issues which matter to you - both via our free weekly print edition and daily updates on our website.

Every contribution, however big or small, you can make will help us continue to do that now and in the future.

Thanks for reading this and the Coventry Observer.

Support Us


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Book an Advert

Book your newspaper advert with our online advert creation tool.

Property Finder 24/7

Search for properties in Worcestershire, Warwickshire and the West Midlands.

Digital Advertising

Advertise on the Coventry Observer to boost your online presence.