17th Dec, 2017

Sky Blues held at home again as search for first league goal continues

Steve Carpenter 17th Aug, 2016 Updated: 28th Oct, 2016

Coventry City 0-0 Bury

League One

Ricoh Arena

THE SEARCH for a first league goal and victory continues for the Sky Blues after Tony Mowbray’s side were held to another 0-0 draw at home to Bury on Tuesday night.

Just as they did against Shrewsbury on Saturday, the Sky Blues perhaps edged the first half but the visitors grew into the game after the break and looked the more likely of the two sides to steal all three points.

In front of a Ricoh Arena crowd of just over 9,000, both sides failed to create any real notable opportunities in what was an opening period to forget for both sides.

Chris McCann impressed on his debut with a couple of neat early touches, while young Welsh defender Cian Harris picked up where he left off on Saturday with another accomplished performances in defence.

Winger Ruben Lameiras dragged a right-footed shot wide of Ben Williams’ goal on 18 minutes and on 26 minutes substitute Jacob Mellis hit a deep corner to the back post which was headed back across goal but skipper Anthony Kay fired high over the bar from close range.

Both teams were forced to make early substitutions due to injuries, with andy Rose picking up what looked like a serious injury after being hit by a thumping tackle in the middle of the park and he was replaced by Dion Kelly-Evans.

Just before half-time Reice Charles-Cook had to be alert to deny Danny Mayor’s shot on target and moments later McCann drilled a firm volley narrowly wide.

Jodi Jones was introduced at the break and he immediately injected some much-needed pace into the Sky Blues side as the home support became more vocal.

Kyel Reid replaced George Thomas as the home side pushed for the opening goal and they came close shortly after the hour mark when Jones did well to pick out substitute Kelly-Evans inside the area but the angle was too tight for the City youngster and his shot went into the side netting.

On 72 minutes Bury had their best chance of the match when former Manchester City midfielder Kelvin Etuhu was given space by the penalty spot and he controlled the ball well before firing narrowly over the bar.

Three minutes later Reid saw a goal-bound effort blocked by Nathan Cameron and the former Preston winger unleashed a dangerous long range effort which whistled just past Williams’ left-hand post.

As the clocked ticked towards 90 minutes it was Bury who looked like finding the winner by twice coming close in the final ten minutes

Substitute Zeli Ismail dragged a half volley inches wide of goal and Etuhu did well again after being put in on goal as he rounded Charles-Cook, but the young City goalkeeper did superbly well to get back on his feet and make an important stop.

Charles-Cook was the hero again in extra-time as he produced another fine full stretch save to keep out Hallam Hope’s looping header as the Sky Blues held on to claim two points from their opening three league matches.

Attendance: 9,090 (222)

Team: Charles-Cook, Willis, Rose (33 Kelly-Evans), Lameiras (Jones 45), McCann, Gadzhev, Ricketts (c), Tudgay, G.Thomas (Reid 55), Haynes, Harries

Subs not used – Burge, Page, Finch, Stevenson


Property Finder 24/7

Search for properties in Worcestershire, Warwickshire and the West Midlands.

Reader Offers

Check out all of the latest reader offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Digital Advertising

Advertise on the Coventry Observer to boost your online presence.