18th May, 2022

United leave it late in seven-goal thriller - Coventry non-league round-up

Ben Tyler 17th Oct, 2019

A 92ND-MINUTE winner from Kyle Carey earned Coventry United victory in a seven-goal thriller at Butts Park Arena on Saturday.

Having been pegged back twice by AFC Wulfrunians, Carey finished off a swift breakaway in stoppage time to make it 4-3 to United in the Midland Football League Premier Division clash.

Matty Gardner headed home from a right-wing cross to open the scoring for United on 21 minutes, and Riley O’Sullivan doubled the lead from close range eight minutes later.

The Wulfs hit back eight minutes before half-time, courtesy of Aaron Bishop’s header from James Hills’ free kick towards the far post.

Three minutes after the break, they were level when Angelo Franco curled home a sumptuous effort from the edge of the penalty area.

Cov led again with a show-stopping strike from Chris Camwell on 73 minutes, but yet again the visitors restored parity with six minutes remaining following Bishop’s rebound finish.

Unnerved, Coventry continued to search for a winner and found it at the death when Carey slid home into an empty net following a blistering counter-attack.

Eighth-placed United visit tenth-placed Tividale on Saturday (3pm).

Meanwhile, the Red and Greens have been handed a home tie against fellow Premier Division side Long Eaton United in the second round of the FA Vase, to be played on Saturday, November 2.

COVENTRY Copsewood’s three-match winning run was ended by a crushing 4-0 defeat at Cadbury Athletic in Division One.

Two goals in either half by The Chocolate Men keep Copsewood down in 14th, with Cadbury a place behind in 15th.

John Barker scrambled home Cadbury’s first from close range, before Anthony Fitzmaurice made it two with an outstanding piece of skill.

After a penalty shout for Coventry was waved away, the hosts sealed the three points through fine strikes from Ramzi Shaheen and Kennie Roberts.

Copsewood host Stapenhill on Saturday (3pm).

FELLOW Division One rivals GNP Sports were dumped out of the FA Vase in cruel fashion, losing 4-2 after extra time against visitors Malvern Town.

GNP looked to be in control of Saturday’s first-round tie with goals either side of half-time from Scott Hammond and James Bryson putting them 2-0 ahead after 64 minutes.

But Sam Hunt’s free-kick pulled a goal back and a dipping shot from Harry Clark made it 2-2 in stoppage time.

With extra time required, Ethan Moran’s double settled affairs to eliminate Shamir Alam’s side.

GNP visit Atherstone Town on Saturday (3pm).

TYRIKE Richards was on fire in Coventry Alvis’ 3-0 win at Division Two leaders Moor Green Academy in Monday night’s Presidents Cup tie.

After a goalless opening period in which Jack Hartopp saved a Moor Green penalty, Richards struck moments after the restart, before adding a late brace to secure a shock victory.

The result followed a 1-1 draw at home to FC Stratford on Saturday, where Dildale Linton’s breakaway goal for Alvis was cancelled out by Daniel Atkins’ second-half strike.

Alvis travel to Coventry Plumbing in Saturday’s (3pm) Birmingham Saturday Vase encounter.

Support community journalism by making a contribution

The Coventry Observer's team of journalists provide a trusted source of news, sport, entertainment and events going on in your area and issues which matter to you - both via our free weekly print edition and daily updates on our website.

Every contribution, however big or small, you can make will help us continue to do that now and in the future.

Thanks for reading this and the Coventry Observer.

Support Us


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Coventry Observer.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.